Friday, February 11, 2011

The Daily Grind


My Zimbio
Top Stories

Daily life has a way of competing for your constant attention. Keeping your head above water and meeting your responsibilities is more than a full-time job. We hustle, bustle, moan, groan, and tend to fill our days biting off more than we can chew. Our life stories unfold relentlessly.

I can’t shake my disappointment at not being able to keep up with it all. My aspirations to change the world fall short. Writing a play to shine a light on “Rights of Passage” suddenly feels anemic and inadequate. My immediate little cosmos is riddled with the consequence of making art. There is never enough time or money and my patience is dwindling.

Self-absorbed as these observations are, I still relate them, rather obsessively, to the struggle for global LGBT equality. I am not saying that my shallow, middle class, struggling artist bullshit compares in any way to murders in Uganda, isolation in Iran or imprisonment in any of the 76 countries where homosexuality is illegal. What I am saying is that solutions to these horrendous situations share the requirements of creativity, focus, cash, and forbearance. The essential modern day ingredients common to the journeys of our daily lives no matter what road we are traveling.

Seeing the forest for the trees when so many seemingly insurmountable obstacles encircle it is still the hardest thing to do. Yet, the stories of prowess and sacrifice lived by our brothers and sisters around the world demand it. Every effort is worth it when civil liberties are at stake. Eventually, humanity will prevail.

Suddenly I realize that my soap box of personal woe has vanished. I get back to work. The scenes in the play need rewrites. There are voices out there yearning to be heard. So much for the daily grind - it pales in comparison.

No comments: